This tag is for requests to replace one tag with another existing tag. It also applies to requests that one tag should be merged into another, or simply abandoned.
When to use this tag
Retagging questions becomes necessary when tags become redundant, out of scope, when they are used inappropriately with respect to their scope, etc. Use this tag for:
- discussing whether and how to retag a set of questions, and/or
- requesting help to retag a set of questions.
What tags should accompany this tag
- If the retagging is indisputable and/or requires moderator assistance, add the mandatory tag support.
- If your retagging question primarily solicits community feedback, then the mandatory tag discussion would be more appropriate.
- The broad tag tags should also be added.
- Often — but not always — retagging involves requesting the creation of a tag synonym. In such cases, the tag tag-synonyms should also be used.
- Tag merging is simply an extended application of synonymizing, so requests that one tag be merged into another should also use the tags retagging and tag-synonyms. Note that only moderators can merge tags.
More info: see the section on tagging in the FAQ.