A request to add one tag as the synonym of another tag.
When to use this tag
Tag synonyms are tags which mean exactly the same thing as another tag. They exist to group variations together.
Use the tag tag-synonyms to request that one tag become a synonym of another.
- Please be specific about which tag should be the "master tag" and which tag should be the "synonym".
- Please ensure that that there are no tag collisions when suggesting synonyms.
- Bidirectional synonyms and cycles are implicitly disallowed, so suggest wisely.
Tag merging is simply an extended application of synonymizing, so requests that one tag be merged into another should also use this tag. Note that only moderators can merge tags.
What tags should accompany this tag
- If the retagging is indisputable and/or requires moderator assistance, add the mandatory tag support.
- If your question primarily solicits community feedback, then the mandatory tag discussion would be more appropriate.
- The broad tag tags should also be added.
- Tag synonyms are usually (but not always) requested as a part of a retagging or tag merging process. In such cases, the tag retagging should also be used.
More info: see the section on tag synonyms in the FAQ.